Start Dating edinburgh scotsman

Dating edinburgh scotsman

Like the earlier carriages built for the service, this rolling stock was jointly owned by the three operating companies, and formed part of the pool known as the East Coast Joint Stock.

Consequently, all three members of the East Coast Joint Stock became part of the newly formed London & North Eastern Railway (LNER).

It was the LNER which, in 1924, officially renamed the Special Scotch Express linking Edinburgh and London in both directions as the Flying Scotsman, its unofficial name since the 1870s.

With the end of the limited speed agreement in 1932, journey time came down to 7 hours 30 minutes, and by 1938 to 7 hours 20 minutes.

For the introduction of the non-stop Flying Scotsman service on , ten special corridor tenders were built with a coal capacity of 9 tons instead of the usual 8; means were also given to access the locomotive from the train through a narrow passageway inside the tender tank plus a flexible bellows connection linking it with the leading coach.

The passageway, which ran along the right-hand side of the tender, was 5 feet (1.52 m) high and 18 inches (0.46 m) wide.

Further corridor tenders were built at intervals until 1938, and eventually there were 22; at various times, they were coupled to engines of classes A1, A3, A4 and W1, but by the end of 1948, all were running with class A4 locomotives.

The A1 class locomotive 4472 Flying Scotsman was used to haul the inaugural non-stop train from London on , and it successfully ran the 392 miles between Edinburgh and London without stopping, a record at the time for a scheduled service (although the London Midland & Scottish Railway had four days earlier staged a one-off publicity coup by running the Royal Scot's Edinburgh section non-stop from Euston - 399.7 miles).